Burgers have always been an all American Summer Food. They remind me of summer cookouts and my childhood. This Fried Onion & Avocado Burger will for sure be your favorite too.
As a little girl growing up in Ardmore, Oklahoma in the early 80’s, I would spend my Saturdays at my Grandmother Bobbie’s dress shop. I have such fond memories going to her shop. Her dress shop was named Bobbie’s Outlet and it was originally located at 19 North Washington.
Every Saturday at noon, my “Grandma Bobbie” would either cook fried spam sandwiches or on occasion she would let me go get something to eat. I could either walk down the street to Carl’s Coney Island for a chili cheese coney or go to Hamburger Inn for a fried onion burger.
My Grandma Bobbie would stand outside the front door of her shop and watch me walk to either place until I would go inside. Both places were only a few doors down from her shop. On my way, I would pass the Caudle Boot & Shoe repair and I believe that it is still there. Since then Carl’s Coney Island has closed, but Hamburger Inn is still in business.
And, here is where part of this recipe came into existence. Any time that I cook fried onions I will remember Hamburger Inn burgers and those precious memories will come flooding back to my mind.
My family has come to love fried onions on their burgers. Frying the onions which caramelizing them brings out a sweetness in the onions. And, on one occasion I added sliced avocado and these too have found a place on our burgers at our dinner table.
Life is about creating memories and food is one of the many ways that will have your children and grandchildren remembering all the good times.
Follow us on our Social Media to never miss new Recipe Ideas!
PIN this recipe to Pinterest to save for later!
Fried Onion & Avocado Burger Ingredients:
- ground beef
- hamburger buns
- onions (butter to caramelize)
- sliced cheese
- mayo, mustard or ketchup
Directions on Caramelizing Onions:
- Slice your onions into thin strips, leave out the stem and root
- Place 1 to 2 tbsp of butter to a pan over medium heat
- Place onions into pan, sprinkle on some salt and pepper
- Saute until onions are brown. (this is by personal preference, I prefer my onions almost black & crisp, but my family doesn’t. So, sometimes I’ll take their onions out of the skillet and continue to cook mine :-))
- Set aside until the onions are ready to be placed on the burgers
While you are caramelizing your onions here’s what you can be working on:
- cooking the hamburger patties
- slicing lettuce, tomatoes and avocados
- butter your hamburger buns and lightly toast in a skillet
- preparing a side dish of french fries, opening a can of pork-n-beans or a pasta salad
- potato chips are always the perfect side dish
- potato chips
- french fries
- baked beans
- cole slaw
- potato salad
- MY FAVORITE Van Camp Pork N Beans!!! AND Plain potato chips! 🙂