The Keto or Low Carb diet doesn’t have to be boring. This Low Carb & Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies recipe tastes just like a sugary, high carb cookie. You will never know the difference these are that good.
This recipe has become a favorite of mine. Who wouldn’t love a dessert recipe that is Keto, sugar free, gluten free, diabetic friendly, one and all the above. 🙂
I have been Keto only a few months and I crave sweets. And, to be able to eat a chocolate chip cookie and not feel guilty is wonderful. The recipe calls for real butter, Carbquik and a sugar substitute, to name a few ingredients that might be different from a sugary chocolate chip cookie recipe.
A bonus is this is one of my dessert recipes that has kept me from cheating and eating real sugar. 🙂
But, before we talk about this recipe, let’s learn more about the keto diet, because it is much more than eating a lot of BACON, LOL!
What is the Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet focuses on high fat, low carb foods like eggs, meats, dairy, and low carb vegetables. Also, it consists of food that are sugar free and gluten free. A lot of individuals believe it is just a lot of protein, like a lot of bacon, but it is more than just eating a lot of bacon. It is limiting carb consumption to around 20 to 50 grams per day and filling up on fats, such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils.
Low Carb – Meat, Poultry & Eggs
Low Carb – Fish and Shellfish
- Salmon (wild)
Low Carb – Cheese and Dairy
- Bleu cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Cream cheese
- Goat cheese
- Greek yogurt (plain)
- Mozzarella (whole milk)
Low Carb Fruit
Low Carb – Vegetables & Net Carb Count
- Asparagus: 1g
- Spinach: 2g
- Swiss Chard: 2g
- Celery: 2g
- Lettuce: 2g
- Avocado (technically a fruit): 2g
- Cabbage: 3g
- Green Olives: 3g
- Cucumber: 3g
- Cauliflower: 3g
- Zucchini: 3g
- Tomato: 3g
- Green Pepper: 3g
- Red Pepper: 4g
- Broccoli: 4g
- Brussels Sprouts: 5g
- Green Beans: 5g
Low Carb Oils and Healthy Fats
- Avocado oil
- Coconut butter
- Coconut oil
- Mayonnaise (with no added sugar)
- MCT oil
- Olive oil
- Safflower oil
- Sesame oil
- Walnut oil
Low Carb – Nuts and Seeds
- Brazil nuts
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Macadamia nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
Foods to Avoid on the Keto Diet
- Grains, biscuits, rolls, tortillas, pancakes, or waffles
- Starchy vegetables, i.e. corn, potatoes, yams, or sweet peas
- high sugar fruit: oranges, apples, watermelons, cantaloupe, grapes, or pineapples
- Sweetened yogurt.
- Juices, i.e. orange juice, grape juice, pineapple juice, or apple juice
- Honey, syrup or sugar in any form, maple syrup, or pancake syrup
- Chips, crackers, or cereals.
- Baked goods including gluten-free baked goods, cakes, cookies, or donuts.
- White rice, brown rice, or pasta
Low Carb & Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies Ingredient:
- Baking Soda
- Pyure sweetener or Splenda/Stevia
- Sugar free Chocolate Chips
- Butter (melted)
I chose a sugar substitute called Pyure, it is a Stevia blend and has the texture of real sugar.
Other sugar substitute will work. The sugar substitute that is above is a granular texture. So, choose a substitute that is granular and not confectioners.
A confectioners might work, but I have not tested it with this recipe. If you would like to try the confectioner, then you could cut the recipe in half and try it. It possibly could work and taste great. Also, I know that there are liquid sugar substitutes and you could also try those and see how they turn out.
If in the future I try a different sweetener, then I’ll come back and add my results to this post.
And, as regarding the sugar free chocolate chips, there are a variety of sugar free chocolate chips. Usually, I bake with Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips and that is because that is what my local supermarket sells. Lilly’s Sugar Free chocolate Chips is another great option if your local supermarket has them in stock. And, there may be other brands coming out soon.
Some of the sugar free chocolate chips have aspartame and some have stevia, so it is just your preference on which ones that you add to your recipe.
Follow us on Social Media for more recipes!
PIN this recipe to save for later!
Other Keto Dessert Recipes:
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups Carbquik
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Pyure or any grandular sweetener
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar free chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 sticks of melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt butter in a microwavable bowl
- Add Pyure, vanilla and eggs
- In a separate bowl, mix Carbquik, baking soda and salt
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together
- Fold in chocolate chips and pecans
- Either spoon dough onto a greased cookie sheet or roll dough into balls (walnut size) and place onto greased cookie sheet
- Slightly flatten dough with hand to have a flatter cookie
- Bake 11-13 minutes
- Cookies will be soft, so easily move with a spatula to foil or wax paper and the cookies will continue to harden.