Do you need a new Mexican Casserole recipe for those busy weeknights meals?
I have gathered the best and hopefully the easiest Mexican casserole recipes. I love one pot meals and slow cooker recipes, so as a mother of 4, I try to pick out easy recipes, lol. “49 Best Easy Ground Beef Mexican Casserole Recipes”
Hopefully, this list of recipes will help all of y’all busy moms or dads!
The first one is my go-to meal, because I can prep it early in the day and then bake it right before I know that my husband will be home for Summer. It is a Ground Beef Mexican Enchiladas and has been on my families’ dinner menu for years and it is an easy Dinner idea!
While I was typing up this post I was trying to remember how and when that this recipe came to our Dinner table. And, I can’t remember. I have baked these enchiladas for so many years that I can’t remember not eating these enchiladas.
I believe that all families probably do this. And that is, that we are creatures of habit and we tend to cook and fix the same meals over and over. While they may be new to some, but they are the same go-to meals for others.
This is one of those meals that I try to cook every 2 weeks, but sometimes I make them once a week.
I will talk about this recipe the most, but then ALL of the other Mexican recipes will have a title (clickable link), picture (clickable link and maybe a small description. So, I hope that y’all will enjoy a new Mexican Meal!
1. The best Mexican ground beef Enchiladas (click title to go to the link with a recipe card)
What is in tasty Mexican Ground Beef Enchiladas
- ground beef – if you do not want meat in your enchiladas then just add a bean mixture of refried beans and shredded cheese
- taco seasoning (optional)
- refried beans or black beans
- flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- red or green enchilada sauce
- shredded cheese
- toppings: sour cream, salsa, guacamole
- Brown ground beef or lean ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat (or medium-high heat). A little olive oil is optional.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place a tortilla on a plate and spoon on refried beans
- Add a layer of the ground beef mixture
- Optional to sprinkle in a half of the cheese or save it all for the top of the enchiladas
- Roll up Tortilla
- Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Place tortilla side down into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Single layer of tortillas
- Pour Red or Green enchilada sauce over tortillas. Both enchilada sauces are good. Some of my family prefers red and some green, so I’ll take turns making these enchiladas with red or green enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas
- Bake until cheese layer is melted
I have made this delicious Mexican ground beef enchiladas with different types of enchilada sauces. I make these enchiladas with both red or green sauce. Usually, it depends on what is in stock at my local supermarket. Sometimes, Aldis has green enchilada sauce and sometimes they don’t.
Wal-mart sells both sauces and most local supermarkets sell both types of sauces. So, it is really a preference to which one you bake with, but be sure to try both.
This recipe can also be a low carb Mexican recipe by leaving out the refried beans and crushed tortilla chips.
- One pot meal
- Gluten-Free recipe
- Low calorie recipe
- Instant Pot recipe
- gluten free taco seasoning
- Delicious fajitas served with your favorite iced tea!
- Choose corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- Keto fajita option by exchanging tortillas for Keto tortillas
I love the colorful bell peppers!
12. Taco Ring
- Low Carb recipe
- Keto ground beef recipe
- keto layered taco dip
- low carb tortilla chips – you can make these by cutting up keto tortillas (or low-carb tortillas), spray with olive oil and baking them in the oven until brown.
- Low carb Shepherd’s Pie
- Low carb
- 4 net carbs per slice
- keto & low carb burrito bowls
- if you are not on a low carb diet, replace cauliflower rice with regular white rice or a Spanish rice.
20. Taco Pasta
- One pan meal
- Healthy pasta recipe
- high-protein meal
- low carb friendly
37. Beef Enchiladas
- For non keto diet – exchange the low carb tortilla with regular flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- keto-friendly recipe
- low-friendly recipe
- sugar free recipe
- add any simple ingredients: green onions, black beans, green chiles, refried beans, or black olives
45. Walking Taco
- simple ingredients
- easy to follow recipe
- Doritos, Fritos, tortilla chips or corn chips
- easy clean-up
47. AIR FRYER NACHOS
Do I need taco seasoning on my ground beef for most Mexican Casseroles?
I have made enchiladas, tacos, burritos and casseroles with seasoned ground beef and I have made them without any seasonings. An easy seasoning for your ground beef is to buy a taco seasoning packet. However, just a few simple ingredients that you can purchase from your local supermarket can be added to your ground beef, here are a few spices:
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- add a can of green chilies
- black pepper & salt
What can I put on top of my family favorite enchiladas, tacos, burritos or Mexican casseroles?
As far as toppings the list could be long. Our favorite taco toppings or enchilada toppings are sour cream, salsa and guacamole salsa. Here are some delicious toppings for taco night or for any of those Mexican casserole recipes:
- green onions or chopped onion
- black olives
- cheddar cheese
- diced tomato or Rotel tomatoes
- green bell pepper
- green chiles
- hot sauce
- dollop of sour cream
Side dishes can also be added to this enchilada meal. A great side dish that my family enjoys is spanish rice. My daughter, Kylee, has created a great recipe for spanish rice (Mexican rice recipe). It’s super quick and only has 2 ingredients!
Not keto, than make these delicious homemade tortilla chips with regular tortillas. Here is Recipe!
What to serve with Mexican dinners?
- tortilla chips
- corn chips
- pico de gallo
- sweet corn
- Mexican rice, Lime rice or white rice
- refried beans or black beans
But, side dishes are like toppings and the list can be endless
Mexican Casserole Q&A’s!
Can I make Mexican dishes without ground beef? Yes, there are so many meat options for enchiladas, tacos, burritos or casseroles. You can make enchiladas with shredded chicken, ground turkey, ground chicken or you can have meatless enchiladas and just add beans. Refried beans and cheese enchiladas are delicious! Also, chili cheese enchiladas are yummy too!
What do you eat with Mexican food? I love Mexican rice and refried beans, but there are so many more options, like:
- Mexican street corn
- Spanish rice
- jalapeno popper
- cilantro lime rice
- Mexican cole slaw
- black beans
- pico de gallo & chips
- Mexican rice casserole
Can I eat leftover enchiladas the next day? Can I eat a leftover casserole? Yes, you can eat leftover enchiladas and leftover casserole the next day. Store leftovers in an airtight container or place a piece of aluminum foil (or plastic wrap) over the casserole dish or meal prep into individual portions. Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Also, this enchilada casserole recipe can be made ahead of time for those busy weeknights and the whole family will enjoy this delicious recipe.
What side dishes go well with tacos? Choose your favorite Mexican flavors of side, like: refried beans and Spanish rice are the most common side dishes.
Can I use any type of ground beef for my enchiladas, tacos, or burritos? Taco meat for enchiladas can be regular ground beef or lean ground beef. Plus, you can also make enchiladas or classic tacos with ground turkey, ground chicken or shredded chicken.
What are the most popular enchiladas? Enchiladas are the perfect dinner for any night of the week. The most popular enchiladas are made with shredded chicken and cheese.
How to make a keto ground beef casserole recipe? Mexican recipes can easily be made into keto-friendly Mexican meals by replacing the flour tortillas with keto tortillas. Plus, replace the regular white rice with cauliflower rice. Make your own tortilla chips with low carb tortillas.
What is typically in a Mexican dish or enchiladas? Meat, beans and cheese in a flour tortilla or corn tortilla. Then, the tortillas are place in a single layer in a casserole dish, with an enchilada sauce poured over the top and a layer of shredded cheese. The enchiladas are then baked in the oven until the cheese is melted.
What Mexican cheese is best for tacos, burritos or enchiladas? Queso fresco is the most popular cheese in Mexican dishes, however there are so many options at your local grocery store. My family likes a colby and sharp cheddar blend, so try different cheeses to find your favorite cheese.
Do you use white or yellow corn tortillas for tacos or enchiladas? Yellow corn tortillas are the most popular tortillas that are used in making Mexican foods, however either white corn tortillas or yellow corn tortillas will work for any Mexican dish.
Which tortillas go with tacos or enchiladas? It is a personal preference of which tortillas to use in Mexican dishes. The choices are flour tortillas, white corn tortillas, yellow corn tortillas and keto-friendly flour tortillas.