Do you need a meal that is easy, quick, kid friendly and takes minutes to prepare? If so, I have a recipe for you. This Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole takes literally minutes from start to finish.
But, not only is this recipe easy and quick it has only 5 ingredients. These ingredients are easy to find at your local supermarket and can be kept on hand without spoiling.
PIN this recipe to Pinterest to save for later!
LIKE our Facebook page for lots of recipes!
“What’s For Dinner?” – Cheap Dinner Ideas!
- Easy & Cheap Chicken Alfredo. *$1 per serving is for 6 servings, but for small children there would be more servings, so the price would even be cheaper. *Plus, this is with can chicken and cooking your own chicken breasts would also lower the price too.
- Spaghetti and garlic bread. Spaghetti is another meal that is cheap. I like spaghetti noodles and sauce, but my kids like meatballs, LOL, so I add meat balls to my sauce. Sometimes, I’ll buy french bread and a garlic butter spread to make garlic bread. However, I have been know to take white or light bread, spread with butter, sprinkle garlic powder on it and shredded cheese, then bake in the oven. So, this can be a cheap dinner meal too. Again, leftovers can be meal prepped and frozen for Gerald’s lunch, LOL.
- Dorito Casserole – another EASY, EASY meal is a Dorito Chicken Casserole, plus it’s fairly cheap. You take a bag of tortilla or dorito chips, can of chicken, can of mushroom soup, can of enchilada soup and shredded cheese. I love this meal! Because, I can assemble this casserole 20 minutes before Gerald is to arrive home from work and the meal is done and ready to eat by the time he is home.
- Pinto Beans – I was raised eating a lot of pinto beans, fried potatoes and cornbread. While growing up my mom made this meal EVERY week, lol. I never thought too much about it, because I loved it. But, later after I had my own family of four kids I understood, because it was a VERY inexpensive meal to make and feed a family. Plus, it was a nutritious meal, beans which are protein, potatoes a vegetable and then cornbread, so in this meal we have our protein, vegetable and a grain. As a kid growing up I just knew I had a delicious meal! LOL. I do have a recipe of this meal called Beans, Taters & Cornbread. When I wrote this recipe up for the website, this meal was $0.24 per serving and this was 2 years ago in 2020. The price might be a little higher now, but not by much, because this is a VERY CHEAP MEAL. AND, I usually cook pinto beans every week, first with fried potatoes and then the leftovers are made into burritos!
- Taco Salad – this is a cheap, cheap meal. I haven’t posted this recipe yet, but it’s basically 1 lb of browned ground beef, couple cans of refried beans and 2 -3 cups of picante sauce. Let this simmer 10-15 minutes, then add a scoop to a serving of tortilla chips, lettuce, tomatoes and onions. It’s a meal that my father-in-law always prepared for us. And, he could cook! The more cans of refried beans that you add, then the more people it will feed.
Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole Ingredients:
- Doritos or tortilla chips of any kind
- Canned Chicken
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Enchilada Sauce (your choice of red or green)
- Shredded Cheese of any kind
When I first started making this recipe I would use regular tortilla chips instead of Doritos and I continue to use those a lot of the time, because I always have plain tortilla chips in the pantry.
Another good chip is the Spicy Doritos. That one is really popular around our house too. My mom recently called me and asked me what all I added to this casserole and while I was telling her she mentioned that she didn’t have this chip or that chip and I told her that really any chips will work.
Also, my mom didn’t have any green enchilada sauce only red enchilada sauce. And, that’s another great part of this recipe is that green or red enchilada sauce will work and the casserole is great with either one.
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe, chicken is the quickest, but you can replace it with pound of browned ground beef. Which is wonderful too in this dish.
We live out in the country a few miles from town, so I try to always have on hand a lot of staples in my pantry. For example, the following for this recipe and some other great ideas of staples to have on hand:
Essential Pantry Staples:
- Can chicken breast
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Chicken broth
- Beef broth
- Canned black olives
- Green chili enchilada sauce
- Green chilis
- Red enchilada sauce
- Canned beans
- Canned corn
- Tomato sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Spaghetti noodles
- Elbow noodles
- Various pasta noodles
- Tortilla chips
- Pasta sauces
- Block cheese like Velveeta or an off brand type
- Flour and corn meal
Refrigerated Essential Items:
- Shredded cheeses, blocks of cheeses and sliced cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Diced garlic
- Lunch meats, weiners and sausages
- lettuce, tomatoes and onions
- Corn tortillas
- Flour Tortillas
Freezer Essential Items:
- Hamburger meat
- Chicken breast, legs & thighs
- Breakfast sausage by the lb and breakfast sausage patties
- Extra breads, loaf and buns
- Extra weiners and lunch meat
- Frozen vegetables
- Frozen berries
Pictures of each step that is in the below recipe:
Add your cans of chicken, enchilada sauce and cream of mushroom into a medium size sauce pan and heat to boiling.
- 1 -15oz bag of Doritos
- 2 -12.5oz cans of chicken
- 1 - 10.5oz can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 - 10oz can of red or green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add cans of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, enchilada sauce into a sauce pan over medium heat
- Cook until mixture begins to simmer
- Place a layer of Doritos in a baking dish
- Pour the simmering mixture over the Doritos
- Place another layer of Doritos over this mixture
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the Doritos
- Bake until the cheese is melted.
Try some of our other recipes!
- Super Easy 2 Ingredient Spanish Rice
- Ground Beef and Bean Enchiladas
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken
- Ginger & Pineapple Chicken
Plus, dessert recipes!!
- Butterfinger Caramel Cake
- Granny Eppler’s Peach Cobbler
- S’more Cookies
- Orange Dream Cookies
- Strawberry Delight Cheesecake