Tired of boring, plain chicken??? This chicken recipe is kicked up a notch! I have created a Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe that will have everyone asking for more please.
Every Springtime I go overboard and plant way too many plants and way too many seeds (or that’s what Gerald, my husband, says, lol). Which is great on one hand, but on the other hand the harvest is so plentiful that I am making a lot of meals from the same veggies.
This recipe came from my garden that was overflowing with cherry tomatoes and an overrun of basil leaves. I believe that this summer every recipe that I created had tomatoes, squash, okra or cucumbers for an ingredients. To name a few that I have created from my garden inspiration: Okra & Squash Fritters, Keto Fried Okra Fritters, Cucumber Tomato Salad, Parmesan Squash & Tomatoes.
However, being creative is very important for a house full of children. Since, I homeschool my children we have every meal at home. Which is breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. So, I need to get creative or the family will burn out on the same meals every day. Plus, most meals are from scratch, because for a large family this is the least inexpensive way to have good and healthy meals. **Scroll down for some helpful tips to save on time and money.
Follow us on Social Media!
PIN this recipe to save for later!
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts Ingredients (scroll down for printable version)
- chicken breasts
- mozzarella cheese
- basil leaves
- oregano (fresh or dried)
- minced garlic
- balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
Each Chicken breast will need to be cut in half, but do not cut all the way thru. I only cut partly thru the chicken breast to create a pocket, so the stuffing will not completely fall out. I did stuff mine so full that some of the ingredients were falling out, but that only made for a prettier presentation of the Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts – Stuffing Ingredients:
- basil leaves
- mozzarella cheese slices
After you have cut a pocket into each chicken breast then you can fill each chicken breast with the above 3 items. These ingredients can be placed inside the chicken breast in any order. I placed the basil leaves down first, then stacked the mozzarella cheese slices on top, then the tomatoes. Keeping those tomatoes inside was quite the task, but with a little help from some toothpicks I managed to keep most of the tomatoes inside the chicken.
Once I began stuffing the chicken breasts I realized that everything was going to fall out during the cooking process, so I took toothpicks and tried to close the chicken breasts together. It did take about 4 to 6 toothpicks for each chicken breasts.
Pour the oil into a pan and place the pan over medium heat and begin to heat the oil. Once the oil is warm, place each chicken breast into the oil and brown each side. Since, the chicken breasts will finish cooking in the oven only a browning is required in the skillet. While the chicken breasts are browning pour the below marinade over the top of each chicken breasts.
Marinade Ingredients: (scroll down for printable version)
- balsamic vinegar
- minced garlic
- black pepper
Take the above marinade ingredients of balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, oregano (dried or fresh), salt and black pepper and place these ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Then, while browning each side of the chicken breast pour the above marinade over each side.
While browning each side of the chicken breast pour the above marinade over each side.
Once each side of the chicken breast is browned place the skillet into the oven to bake approx. 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until the internal chicken temperature is 165 degrees.
- To save time you can take these chicken breasts, stuff them and place in the refrigerator to be cooked in the oven the next day or later in the week.
- To save time you could also place these stuffed chicken breasts into a crock pot in the morning on low and slowly cook. They would not have the browning crust on the outside, but would taste delicious and be ready for the evening meal without all the skillet and oven time.
- Another idea, that I will do for the leftovers is that I’ll take the leftovers and place a serving in a bowl (label it with freezer tape) and place it in the freezer for my husband to take to work later during the week or the next week. Leftovers would last in the freezer a couple of months, if they are not ate before then.
- This recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts which is 4 servings, however after the chicken breasts were stuffed I could only eat half of one serving. My chicken breasts were quite large too.
- When I created this recipe I wasn’t thinking about a Keto recipe , which I also love to create, but I started looking at the net carbs and realized that this recipe is Keto and Low Carb. Each chicken breast has only 3 net carbs which is great. Plus, I only eat half of one chicken breast which makes the net carbs 1.5. So, if you are keeping your net carbs at 20 or below per day this is an excellent meal for you.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 12 basil leaves
- 1 tsp oregano fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take the chicken breasts and partially cut in half creating a pocket.
- Place 3 basil leaves into each chicken breasts
- Place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the basil leaves
- Place some tomatoes on top of the cheese
- Using toothpicks secure the closure of each chicken breasts
- Take a oven safe pan and place over medium heat. Pour oil into pan and begin to heat
- Place each chicken breast into the oil browning both sides of the chicken. Do not cook just brown because the cooking will take place in the oven
- While the chicken breast is browning pour the marinade over the top of each one.
- Place pan into the oven and bake chicken breasts approximately 40 minutes or until the internal temp is 165 degrees.
Marinade instructions: In a medium bowl mix balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper.
Try Some of our other keto Dinner Recipes:
Keto Dessert Recipes:
Delicious Keto Fudge Chocolate Cake
If you make this Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast, be sure to share it with us on Instagram @thelazykkitchen. We’d love to see your finished dish!