Change up those boring tacos and burritos to a Taco Casserole! This Taco Casserole is a layered taco or burrito without the taco shell or tortilla. There are 8 layers in this casserole with the bottom layer beginning with refried beans. Then, you add sour cream, picante salsa, seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, green onions, black olives and tomatoes.
On top of this casserole I did sprinkle some broken tortilla chips. When I baked this casserole for dinner one night some of my kids crushed up more chips and added this casserole to the top of their chips. Also, I had some of the family that spooned this casserole inside a tortilla. So, my Taco casserole was also ate as a burrito, which is great! How ever the kids want to eat it is great!
Follow us on Social Media!
PIN to save for later!
Taco Casserole Ingredients (scroll down for printable version)
- refried beans
- sour cream
- picante salsa
- ground beef
- taco seasoning mix
- shredded cheese
- green onions
- black olives
- crushed tortilla chips
Y’all may already know this, but I also create keto and low carb recipes. And, this recipe could very easily be a keto recipe. For this recipe to be keto the refried beans would have to be replaced, because beans are a high carb food. So, I would replace the refried beans with either sliced avocados or guacamole. Of course, you could always just leave the refried beans out of the casserole. The tomatoes and onions on top have some carbs, so I would add those sparingly to lower the carb count.
- In a medium size baking dish (my pan is a 13×9, any size close) take a spatula and spread the refried beans into the bottom of the pan.
2. With a spatula spread the sour cream over the refried beans
3. With a spatula spread the salsa or picante sauce over the sour cream
4. For this next step you will need to have already browned your ground beef and added your taco seasoning to it before you spread it onto your casserole.
5. The last step before you place your casserole into the oven is to add the cheese, green onions, black olives, tomatoes and crushed tortilla chips to the top of the ground beef. These ingredients can be placed on top in any order and feel free to add extra. The pic below only shows the cheese and that is because I forgot to get the last pic before placing my casserole into the oven. 🙂
6. Place your taco casserole into the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
- For a keto or low carb Taco Casserole you will need to replace the refried beans or leave them out of the recipe. A delicious replacement would be sliced avocados.
- The casserole can be eaten alone or the casserole can be added to a flour tortilla or spooned over crushed tortilla chips.
- Serve with a side of Spanish rice or pinto beans. I linked our “Super Easy 2 Ingredient Spanish Rice” recipe, my daughter , Kylee, created this easy recipe and it would be a delicious side dish for this taco casserole.
- To save time you can brown the ground beef ahead of time and then when you are ready for the meal you can assemble the casserole and bake.
- To lower the calories in this casserole you could replace the ground beef for 2 cans of white chicken breasts.
- A variety of cheeses can be used. Usually, I use whatever cheese that I have on hand, but a Pepper Jack cheese would taste good.
- Add different toppings, for example: jalapenos, different types of olives, sliced avocados, guacamole, pico de gallo, more sour cream…..
- 16 oz can of refried beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp picante sauce or salsa
- 2 lbs cooked ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- optional: crushed tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Before assembling your casserole you will need to brown your ground beef in a skillet
- Spread refried beans to the bottom of a baking dish
- Spread sour cream on top of the refried beans
- Spread the picante sauce or salsa on top of the sour cream
- Spread the seasoned cooked ground beef on top of the sauce or salsa
- Sprinkle on the shredded cheese, onions, olives, tomatoes and chips
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake approx. 20 minutes.
Try some of our other recipes!
- Super Easy 2 Ingredient Spanish Rice
- Ground Beef and Bean Enchiladas
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken
- Ginger & Pineapple Chicken
Plus, dessert recipes!!
- Butterfinger Caramel Cake
- Granny Eppler’s Peach Cobbler
- S’more Cookies
- Orange Dream Cookies
- Strawberry Delight Cheesecake
If you make this Taco Casserole, be sure to share it with us on Instagram @thelazykkitchen. We’d love to see your finished dish!