Before I talk about the main difference between an iced latte, iced mocha latte and an iced mocha, let’s talk about mocha drinks in general. Coffee and chocolate drinks have become very popular over the past few years. “Iced Latte vs Iced Mocha: What’s the Difference?”
My local coffee shops and big chain coffee houses have been popping up everywhere.
I know that the town close to where I live has more than I can count of coffee shops, so there is no shortage of places to buy hot lattes or cold coffee drinks. However, instead of going to that favorite local coffee shop you can make these drinks at home. And, the only difference is the price and convenience.
What is an Iced Latte?
An iced latte is a traditional latte with ice, espresso and cold milk.
What is an Iced Mocha?
An iced mocha is an iced latte with chocolate syrup added to the drink. You can add a decadent chocolate bar or homemade chocolate syrup, any type of chocolate can be added to an easy iced mocha recipe.
The major differences between an iced latte and an iced mocha is the added chocolate syrup and caffeine content. Of course, coffee enthusiasts or coffee aficionados has a strong opinion of which is the better choice cold drink.
“Iced Latte vs Iced Mocha: What’s the Difference?”
So, What is a Mocha Drink?
Mocha is short for a mocha latte or caffe mocha. Per wikipedia a Mocha drink is a caffe mocha, also called mochaccino, is a chocolate flavored warm beverage that is a variant of a caffe latte, commonly served in a glass rather than a mug.
Other commonly used spellings are mochaccino and also mochachino. The basis is a shot of espresso combined with a chocolate powder or syrup then followed by milk or cream.
What are the main ingredients in a mocha drink?
- Milk – sweet cream, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk or whole milk
- Espresso – regular coffee (brewed coffee), coffee concentrate, hot coffee or however the brewing method
Are there optional Ingredients in a mocha drink for the chocolate lover? “Iced Latte vs Iced Mocha: What’s the Difference?”
- Chocolate flavor syrup, milk chocolate, dark chocolate syrup or any type of chocolate
- white chocolate syrup or white chocolate sauce
- white chocolate mocha sauce
- Chantilly cream
- whipped cream
- White mocha sauce
- Iced version or iced mocha
- Caramel sauce
- Peppermint syrup
- Strawberry sauce
- shots of espresso or double shot of espresso or none for less caffeine
- cocoa powder
- vanilla syrup
- Cinnamon or pump of cinnamon
- chocolate shavings
- sweet cold milk any type of milk that you prefer or less milk
- cocoa butter – which has a cocoa flavor and aroma
What is a traditional latte? All traditional lattes begin with espresso and steamed milk.
What is an iced caramel macchiato? An iced caramel macchiato is a drink of espresso, vanilla flavored syrup, milk, ice and caramel drizzle. What is an iced skinny caramel macchiato? For this drink you will need to use SF syrups and non-fat milk.
What is a mocha iced latte? This drink includes espresso, milk, ice and chocolate syrup or some type of chocolate.
What is a white iced mocha? This drink includes espresso, milk, ice and white chocolate sauce.
What is a mocha espresso-based drink? A Starbucks mocha drinks are any drink that is chocolate and coffee together. I just don’t see how you can go wrong with adding chocolate to any drink, lol. There’s nothing better than a sweet drink and a double chocolate chip cookie.
What are the ingredients in mocha drinks? Chocolate, milk and espresso. If you don’t have an espresso machine or a french press, then you can use an espresso syrup or a coffee concentrate, instant coffee or cold coffee brew. The amount of caffeine will vary per drink.
What is mocha in a white chocolate mocha? The white mocha tastes is like a white chocolate candy bar, but better. It has white chocolate syrup, milk and espresso. And, the main differences between a white chocolate mocha and a hot chocolate is the espresso, i.e. coffee beans.
So, if you leave out the espresso, then you have a white hot chocolate drink.
Does white mocha have dairy? Starbucks thick creamy sauces like white mocha have dairy, however mocha does not have dairy.
How many calories in a pump of white mocha at Starbucks? Starbucks 1 Pump White Mocha Syrup (1 pump) contains 11g total carbs, 11g net carbs, 2g fat, 1g protein, and 60 calories.
Does white chocolate mocha have high fructose corn syrup? The main ingredients in the white mocha sauce are sugar, sweetened condensed milk, high fructose corn syrup, cocoa butter and coconut oil.
How do I order a healthier white mocha drink from Starbucks? To order a healthy Starbucks TALL white mocha ask for nonfat milk, one pump of white chocolate syrup and no whipped cream.
How do I order a Ketogenic white mocha drink from Starbucks? Starbucks does not have a sugar free white mocha, so you can make this drink low carb and low calorie, but not keto. Ask for almond milk and whipped cream to lower the carb and calorie intake.
What makes a white mocha drink skinny? To make this drink skinny you simply ask for nonfat milk and no whipping cream.
Can I make white chocolate mochas or iced white mochas at home? Yes, you can make these drinks at home! Purchase your favorite syrups and a coffee concentrate at your local stores.
Then, pour over ice cubes for an iced coffee or blend for a frappe.
Take cold brew coffee or regular cooled coffee and pour the coffee into ice cube tray and freeze. Then, when you make your iced drinks add these frozen strong coffee ice cubes to your drink and when the ice melts your drink will not be watered down and you will have a stronger coffee flavor.
Most of these drinks do not require any special equipment, like a steam wand or Moka pot. And, these are a coffee beverage called espresso-based drinks and the ingredients (extra toppings) are a personal preference, so there is no right or wrong way.
Is mocha just coffee and hot chocolate? Mocha is more like a blend of a cappuccino and a hot chocolate. A cappuccino is espresso, warm milk and a frothy top, but with chocolate added to it either by skinny mocha syrup, chocolate chips, mocha drizzle, chocolate curls, java chips, pumps of regular mocha sauce.
How to make at home an Iced Mocha Latte. To make an Iced Latte leave off the chocolate syrup.
- 1/2 cup of strong coffee or a coffee concentrate
- 6 ounces of milk or milk of your choice: almond milk or oat milk
- chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
For this simple recipe, add your coffee and milk to a glass and stir. Then add the ice and chocolate syrup. Top with whipped cream and the chocolate syrup can be added to the empty glass first or added to the top of your whipped topping.
So, the big difference between an iced mocha latte and an iced latte is the chocolate.
What are the best iced mocha drinks for coffee lovers?
- Mocha cookie crumble frappuccino – What is in a mocha cookie crumble? Ice, milk, coffee frappuccino syrup, whipped cream, coffee, mocha sauce, frappuccino chips, and cookie crumbles.
- Java Chip frappuccino – What is in a java chip frappuccino? Ice, milk, coffee frappuccino syrup, whipped cream, coffee, mocha sauce and frappuccino chips.
- Peppermint Mocha, Peppermint white chocolate mocha frappuccino – What is in a peppermint mocha? Milk, peppermint syrup, mocha sauce, chocolate curls topping, and whipped cream.
- Toasted white chocolate mocha – What is in a toasted white chocolate mocha? Milk, toasted white chocolate mocha syrup, brewed espresso, whipped cream, holiday sugar sprinkles.
- Caffe mocha
- Starbucks reserve dark chocolate mocha
- Starbucks White chocolate mocha, iced white chocolate mocha – What is in a white chocolate mocha? Milk, white chocolate, mocha syrup, whipped cream, espresso.
How do you customize my Starbucks mocha drinks? Can I customize my Starbucks drink?
- You can add an extra espresso shots to any size of drink
- You can make a drink “skinny” which means no sugar, non-fat milk and no whipped cream
- You can make it a decaf with decaf espresso
How can I customize my coffee drinks with simple ingredients? Most of these customizations are added sweetness.
- Add caramel drizzle or caramel cream
- Add a white chocolate sauce
- Add white chocolate mocha sauce
- Add chocolate syrup
- Add peppermint syrup
- Add a dolce syrup
- Add a toffee nut syrup
- Add pumps of vanilla syrup
- Add pumps of mocha sauce
- Add cold foam or milk foam
- Add shots of espresso or a single shot of espresso
- Add bittersweet mocha sauce
- Choose milk alternatives or change the milk ratio
“Iced Latte vs Iced Mocha: What’s the Difference?”
So, y’all probably know more now about cold brew coffee, iced coffee drinks and iced macchiato than you ever wanted to know! LOL, but whether you like a creamy drink, black coffee or just a delicious coffee drink, the best thing is there are a lot of choices to make at home or to go to your favorite coffee shop to have your delicious treat.
And, next time don’t be afraid to try new flavors of different types of coffee or coffee-based beverages! Especially, on a hot day when you need a mg of caffeine, but want a refreshing drink!
Recipes to try with your favorite coffee drink!
If you love Starbucks Egg Bites than you are sure to love these next few recipes!