Before I talk about the main differences in a mocha drink and a latte macchiato, let’s talk about mocha drinks in general. Coffee and chocolate drinks have become very popular over the past few years. Little coffee shops and big chain coffee houses have been popping up everywhere. “What’s the difference between a Mocha vs Macchiato?”
I know that the town close to where I live has more than I can count, so there is no shortage of places to buy mocha drinks or a traditional macchiato for coffee lovers.
So, What is a Mocha Drink?
Mocha is short for a mocha latte or caffe mocha. Per wikipedia a Mocha drink is a caffe mocha, also called mocaccino, is a chocolate flavored warm beverage that is a variant of a catte latte, commonly served in a glass rather than a mug.
Other commonly used spellings are mochaccino and also mochachino. The basis is a shot of espresso combined with a chocolate powder or syrup then followed by milk or cream.
What is a Macchiato?
Also, called an espresso macchiato or a caffe macchiato. Macchiato in an Italian word that means “spotted”. And it has a shot of espresso and a small amount of milk foam on top.
What are the Main Ingredients in a Mocha Drink?
- Milk – sweet cream, coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk or whole milk
- Espresso or a double shot of espresso
What are the Main Ingredients in a Macchiato?
- Steamed milk
What milk is best for macchiato?
Whole milk is best for a macchiato.
Are Starbucks macchiatos sweet?
Yes, very sweet with a lot of milk and sugar.
Why do people order caramel macchiato upside down?
This means that the caramel is in the bottom of the cup instead of on the top of the drink. So, you will taste the caramel with your first sip, instead of at the last of your drink.
Macchiato vs Mocha – What’s the difference between a Mocha vs Macchiato?
The main difference between these two espresso drinks is that the mocha drink has chocolate and a macchiato does not have any chocolate in it. So, if you have a sweet tooth, try a mocha drink.
What are the optional Ingredients in a Mocha Drink?
- Chocolate syrup, chocolate shavings or cocoa powder
- Chantilly cream
- White mocha sauce
- Iced version or iced mocha
- Caramel sauce
- Peppermint sauce
- Strawberry sauce
What is the difference between a latte and macchiato?
The key difference between these two most popular coffee drinks is that one has less milk. A macchiato is espresso and steamed milk. A latte is espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk.
What’s in a mocha macchiato?
A mocha macchiato contains espresso, steamed milk and a little bit of milk chocolate syrup. This is where the latte art come to life.
Which is sweeter latte or macchiato?
A latte is sweeter, because it has more ratio of milk to espresso.
What flavor macchiatos does Starbucks have?
- Espresso Macchiato
- Latte Macchiato
- Caramel Macchiato
How do you order a Starbucks traditional macchiato?
This is very easy! Just tell the barista that you would like a macchiato or an espresso macchiato and they will not what to do.
Are macchiatos stronger than coffee?
Since a macchiato is made with less milk, it is a strong coffee with a higher caffeine content. Of course, the taste of the coffee beverage and amount of caffeine depends on the type of coffee beans.
What’s the difference between a caramel macchiato and latte?
A caramel macchiato has espresso, steamed milk, vanilla syrup and caramel sauce. But, a latte has espresso, steamed milk, foam and no syrups.
What is the difference between latte and au lait?
An au lait is coffee with hot milk added. And, a latte has steamed milk and foamed milk on top of the espresso.
What kind of drink is a mocha?
A Starbucks mocha drinks are any drink that is chocolate and coffee together. I just don’t see how you can go wrong with adding chocolate to any drink, lol. There’s nothing better than a sweet drink and a double chocolate chip cookie.
Is mocha just coffee and hot chocolate?
Mocha is more like a blend of a cappuccino and a hot chocolate. A cappuccino is espresso, steamed milk and a frothy top, but with chocolate added to it, also: skinny mocha syrup, chocolate chips, mocha drizzle, chocolate curls, java chips, pumps of regular mocha sauce.
Top 7 Best Starbuck Mocha Drinks
- Mocha cookie crumble frappuccino – What is in a mocha cookie crumble? Ice, milk, coffee frappuccino syrup, whipped cream, coffee, mocha sauce, frappuccino chips, and cookie crumbles.
- Java Chip frappuccino – What is in a java chip frappuccino? Ice, milk, coffee frappuccino syrup, whipped cream, coffee, mocha sauce and frappuccino chips.
- Peppermint Mocha, Peppermint white chocolate mocha frappuccino – What is in a peppermint mocha? Milk, peppermint syrup, mocha sauce, chocolate curls topping, and whipped cream.
- Toasted white chocolate mocha – What is in a toasted white chocolate mocha? Milk, toasted white chocolate mocha syrup, brewed espresso, whipped cream, holiday sugar sprinkles.
- Caffe mocha
- Starbucks reserve dark chocolate mocha
- Starbucks White chocolate mocha, iced white chocolate mocha – What is in a white chocolate mocha? Milk, white chocolate mocha syrup, whipped cream, espresso.
Can I customize my Starbucks mocha drinks?
- You can add an extra espresso shots to any size of drink
- You can make a drink “skinny” which means no sugar, non-fat milk and no whipped cream
- You can make it a decaf with decaf espresso
How can I customize my coffee drinks at Starbucks?
- Add caramel drizzle or caramel cream
- Add a white chocolate sauce
- Add white chocolate mocha sauce
- Add chocolate syrup
- Add peppermint syrup
- Add a dolce syrup
- Add a toffee nut syrup
- Add pumps of vanilla syrup
- Add pumps of mocha sauce
- Add cold foam
- Add shots of espresso
- Add bittersweet mocha sauce
Let’s talk about the “secret menu item or secret menu drink”. There really is no such thing and the baristas will not know what you are talking about if you ask for a different drink name that is not on the Starbucks menu.
Now, you can explain a different type of new drinks that’s not on the Starbucks drinks menu, but not a NEW NAME that is not on the menu. I know that all sounds confusing, but it’s really not, so just explain to your local Starbucks barista what you would like in your perfect drink. “What’s the difference between a Mocha vs Macchiato?”