This weight loss cabbage soup recipe came about around the end of the year. I was wanting to lose some weight and my mom always says, “eat cabbage”. She likes to drink cabbage juice, which I can’t or won’t do, lol. Because, it smells really bad and I’m not that brave, LOL. She likes to juice the red cabbage, typically I buy the green cabbage, maybe because it is a little less expensive or may be it has become a habit and I don’t think to look for another color, LOL. Maybe, I should venture out and try something different. However, I do like to take the shredded cabbage and eat it raw.
Plus, another recipe that my girls and I like is to saute some cut up cabbage and onion in a little olive oil, then add some diced up summer sausage and seasonings. This is really a delicious meal! Here is the recipe for the Keto sausage & cabbage casserole.
- chicken (can of chicken breast works perfect)
- beef (browned ground beef or taco meat is good)
- ham (diced breakfast ham)
- summer sausage
- beans (any kind will work, a can of chili beans would be delicious)
Cabbage is recommended to people who want to lose weight, since it is full of nutrients and its high fiber content makes your stomach feel full. With approximately 33 calories per cup, cabbage is high in fiber, vitamins and contains zero fat.
Eating Healthy is a Lifestyle
This weight loss cabbage soup is an ideal soup to begin your weight loss journey, but remember that it is a lifestyle change and not really a diet. I have learned thru the many years of dieting off and on that I have to truly change the way I eat all the time, because the weight will always come back on as soon as I go back to eating the junk that I like to eat. The junk is so easy, but eating healthy can be easy too, I just have to plan a little better and not wait until I am really hungry, because then I will grab anything that is handy. And, usually that is not a healthy choice. I have a bad habit of eating potato chips and a positive lifestyle change would be to choose to eat some carrots, celery or nuts.
Nuts are a wonderful healthy snack, for example: cashews, walnuts, almonds or pecans, any of these nuts would be a much better choice than potato chips. It’s a one day at a time journey, trying to do better today than I did yesterday, but when I don’t do better, I don’t give up. Because, tomorrow is a new day and a chance to start over again and try to do better. A positive attitude really helps and not to think about how I ate wrong the day before, because that day is over and gone. 🙂
Cabbage soup may be effective for weight loss. Following the cabbage soup diet some sources say that people could lose 10 pounds per week or more. However, anytime someone eats fewer calories in a day they have the potential to lose weight. And, with that being said, cabbage is a low calorie food. Cabbage is also a sugar free and gluten free vegetable. So, if you are a diabetic and should not have sugar then this would be a good meal. You could always cut the carrots in half, so instead of adding 3 carrots to this soup only add 1 or 1 1/2 of chopped carrots. Maybe, then add more celery or cabbage, plus adding some protein would be good too, maybe add a can of cooked white chicken breast.
Typically, I make a lot of keto or low carb meals. Ketogenic meals consist of no carbohydrates or sugar. This cabbage soup would not be strict keto, because of the carrots and tomatoes, however the carrots and tomatoes could be left out and this would still be a great soup. Maybe, add some protein like summer sausage or a can of white chicken breast. High protein is important on the ketogenic diet which would lower the carbohydrates in this soup.
Weight Loss Cabbage Soup Ingredients – scroll down for recipe
- vegetable broth ( beef or chicken broth would also be good, but for this recipe I did make it with vegetable broth)
- yellow onion (any type of onion would work, for example, if you like red or white onions then I would add one of those instead of a yellow onion)
- green cabbage (purple cabbage would also work, I prefer green cabbage, but either type of cabbage will work)
- diced tomatoes (a great idea is also to add a can of Rotel tomatoes, which I have done, however it is too hot for me, so if you like spicy soups this would be a great idea for you)
- black pepper
- vitamin C
- vitamin A
- vitamin K
Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Cabbage is packed with nutrients
- It helps improve digestion, because it is full of fiber
- May lower blood pressure
- excellent source of beta carotene (vitamin A), which is needed for healthy skin, bones, and eyes.
Cabbage can also be juiced. For years, my mom has taken the red cabbage, juiced it and drank the juice. Research tells that it does improve gut health and helps with weight loss.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 4 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cut up onion, cabbage, carrots and celery
- Place large soup pot over medium heat
- Add vegetables, broth, seasonings to pot
- Add lid and simmer for 40-50 minutes until vegetable are soft.
7 Varieties of Cabbage
- Cannonball Cabbage. More commonly known as green cabbage, the cannonball cabbage is one of the most popular cabbage varieties
- Bok Choy
- Choy Sum
- Napa Cabbage
- Savoy Cabbage
- January King Cabbage
- Red Cabbage
- Remember you can add protein, for example: summer sausage, chicken, beef or ham
- Add a can of Rotel tomatoes for a spicy soup
- Soup can be frozen
- To have a ketogenic soup, leave out the carrots and add some protein to the soup.