Here’s another recipe that a mom can be proud of! The chicken is cooked in the crockpot and the taquitos are baked and not fried! Yay! Easy and healthy, I can’t beat that. And, as a busy mom of 4, plus homeschooling 2 of those 4, I am too busy to worry about Supper. So, one weekend I cooked a lot of chicken in my crockpot and had meals all week with only a little prep work – Crispy chipotle chicken cream cheese taquitos
And, another easy meal that I had made from this crockpot of chicken was Crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls with homemade tortilla chips and a One skillet saucy chicken tortilla enchilada rice bake.
I love recipes that take stress out of my life and make it easier. I try not to create recipes that have tons of ingredients or ingredients that are expensive and hard to find.
Are crispy chipotle chicken cream cheese taquitos keto? Are taquitos gluten free?
Are taquitos keto? No, BUT, they can be if you replace the corn tortillas with a keto tortilla or low carb tortilla. Because, the filling of chicken and cheese is ketogenic. Are taquitos gluten free? Yes, corn tortillas are gluten free.
Do I have to add the cilantro lime sauce?
No, you can leave off the cilantro lime sauce and dip your taquitos in salsa, guacamole, sour cream or any other condiment that you would prefer.
Are taquitos dairy free?
Only, if you leave out the cheese and cilantro lime sauce. Then, they could be dairy free.
How do I make crispy chipotle chicken cream cheese taquitos?
- Cook chicken breasts in a crockpot or bake in the oven
- Shred chicken breasts
- To combine the chicken and cream cheese I microwaved mine until the cream cheese melted and then stirred with a spoon. This was the easiest for me, because I had cooked my chicken breasts earlier.
- Place 4-5 corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in a microwave for 30 seconds
- Fill tortillas with the shredded chicken breasts and shredded cheese
- Roll up tortillas and place on a greased baking sheet
- Spray each taquitos with olive oil
- Bake 5-7 minutes, turn over and spray again and bake another 5 minutes or until crispy and desired.
- While taquitos are baking, make the cilantro lime sauce
FAQ’s about taquitos
What is a taquito? A taquito is a Mexican dish that typically is a roll up corn tortilla with a meat and cheese filling, then baked or fried.
What is in a taquito? The filling of a taquito can very from chicken, beef or pork. Usually, there is also cheese and spices.
What is the difference between a taco and a taquito? A taco is a corn tortilla that is filled with meat, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes and folded over. A taquito is a meat and cheese filling in a corn tortillas rolled up then baked or fried.
Are taquitos a meal? Taquitos can be an appetizer or a meal.
Can I freeze taquitos? You can freeze the filling, but I would not freeze the taquito, because the tortilla would be soggy. So, you can freeze the filling then thaw it out and make the taquitos and bake as directed.
What to serve with taquitos? Or What do people dip taquitos in?
- cilantro lime sauce
- cilantro lime rice
- Pico de Gallo
- guacamole, salsa or sour cream
- Mexican street corn
- refried beans
- pinto beans
- top with lettuce, tomatoes and onions
Crockpot chicken or baked chicken
- 1 pound of chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt & black pepper
- 24 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
1. cook chicken on low heat for 6 hours or on high heat for 4 hours
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Shred chicken breasts
3. Place 4-6 corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat for in microwave for 30 seconds
4. Fill each taquito with 2 tbsp of chicken and cheese
4. Roll up corn tortilla and place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
5. Spray taquitos with olive oil
6. Bake for 5 minutes, flip over and spray again.
7. Bake for additional 5 minutes or until desired brownness.
Cilantro Lime Sauce
1. Take a small bowl and add mayo, sour cream, seasonings, lime juice and cilantro
2. Mix well and chill
Try some of our other recipes!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Easy Garlic Bread Casserole
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pies
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken