What can beat a crockpot or baked meal??? How about a crockpot, baked, ONE SKILLET meal! I love easy, easy recipes! And, this One skillet saucy chicken tortilla enchilada rice bake is it! I cooked about 4 pounds of chicken breast in my crockpot this weekend and I have 3 weekly Dinner meals already planned.
So, I won’t find myself wondering “What’s for Dinner”, this has to be the hardest question for a mother! LOL!
With this 4 pounds of chicken breast, I made 2 other recipes, so it’s was Mexican dinner week! LOL. But, here are the other 2 recipes:
- Crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls with cilantro lime sauce
- Crispy chipotle chicken cream cheese taquitos w cilantro lime sauce
I hope that I’m not the only mother who at breakfast is trying to figure out “What’s for Dinner!” And, as mothers we have to be ahead of the game, because the meat as to be laid out if it’s frozen or do I have all the ingredients!
What is in a chicken tortilla enchilada rice bake?
- shredded chicken – you can cook this ahead of time in a crockpot or bake in the oven. I find that baking in a crockpot over the weekend it the easiest way for me.
- chicken seasonings
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- salt and black pepper
- bell pepper
- white rice, brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice
- red enchilada sauce – store bought or you can make your own
- shredded cheese – any cheese will work, like a Mexican blend cheese or a sharp cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips – store bought or homemade tortilla chips: corn tortillas, olive oil and salt
How do I make a rice bake?
- I had already cooked my chicken in a crockpot, so I added my shredded chicken to a skillet. However, you could cook you chicken the skillet and then following the other directions.
- I had already made some instant rice for a meal the day before, I added that rice to my chicken. Of course who could always make the instant rice right before you begin cooking or add a regular long grain rice to the enchilada sauce and simmer until done (by following the directions on the rice bag)
- I poured some red enchilada sauce over the chicken and rice. Mix well.
- Squeeze 1 lime over the mixture, sprinkle on some cilantro and shredded cheese
- Add a layer of homemade tortilla chips (recipe in notes of recipe card) or store bought tortilla chips
- Top with shredded cheese
- Bake 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted
- Garnish with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, jalapenos and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
Is an enchilada rice bake keto?
Not if you make it with regular rice. You would need to replace the white rice with a cauliflower rice. AND, you would need to make the tortilla chips from keto or low carb tortillas.
Is an enchilada rice bake gluten free?
Yes, this enchilada rice bake is gluten free, because the rice and corn tortillas are gluten free.
Is an enchilada bake dairy free?
No, not unless you leave out the cheese or use a dairy free cheese, then it could be dairy free. For example, I can’t have dairy, so I will only sprinkle cheese on part of the enchilada bake and leave a portion without cheese for me. I’ve been creating a lot of Mexican meals this week and I’m having to change them for me, lol. I’ve been off dairy for only a few weeks and I didn’t miss the cheese until I started creating these Mexican recipes, LOL, it’s just not the same, but I’ll live without the cheese, I HOPE, LOL!
Can I cook my chicken breast ahead of time in the crockpot? For this recipe, I already had my chicken breast cooked in the crockpot, however you can cook the chicken in the skillet right before you had your rice and enchilada sauce.
Can I use a rotisserie chicken for my enchilada rice bake? Yes, of course this would be the easiest choice to purchase chicken already cooked. This might be a little more expensive, but would be the easiest choice.
Can I use anything else besides chicken breast? Yes, you could use ground beef or ground chicken.
Can I add any other veggies? Yes, you can add any vegetable that you’d like to, for example: corn, bell peppers, black beans, or mushrooms.
What can if garnish with? You can garnish with cilantro, green onions, avocado, salsa, diced tomatoes or sour cream.
How do I store my leftover enchilada bake?
To store in the refrigerator – Place leftover enchilada rice bake into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
To store in the freezer – Place the leftover enchilada rice bake in an airtight container or a baking dish with aluminum foil over the top. Set it in the refrigerator the day before you plan to bake it and let it thaw. Then, bake as directed.
- 1 lb of shredded chicken or ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups of red enchilada sauce
- 4 servings of instant rice
- homemade tortilla chips or store bought chips
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- garnish: sour cream, green onions, avocados, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and salsa
- juice of 1 lime (optional)
- Add cooked shredded chicken to skillet or brown a pound of chicken, beef or turkey
- Add prepared instant rice (all ready cooked as directed)
- Add enchilada sauce
- Squeeze lime juice over mixture
- Sprinkle cilantro over mixture (optional)
- Sprinkle half of shredded cheese
- Add tortilla chips to top of dish
- Add the rest of the shredded cheese
- Bake 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Garnish with sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro and salsa
Homemade tortilla chips:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut corn tortillas or low carb tortillas into triangles
- Place tortillas onto a greased baking sheet
- Spray with olive oil and salt
- Bake for 4-6 minutes then turn over a bake a few minutes until brown
What can I serve with enchilada bake?
- Fried beans
- Mexican Green Beans
- Mexican Corn
- Mexican Bean Salad
- BBQ Corn
- Black Beans and Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Chips and Salsa
- Pico de Gallo
Try some of our other recipes!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Easy Garlic Bread Casserole
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pies
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken