My family loves egg rolls that are deep fried in hot oil and come out all crispy and brown on the outside. However, I was wanting a little healthier version of this flaky, crispy fried shell goodness! LOL. So, one Saturday I decided to make three different egg rolls. I baked some egg rolls, I deep fried some and I also air fried some egg rolls. And, after tasting the baked egg rolls, I found out that they were DELICIOUS! So, that is how this recipe of Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch recipe was created.
The cilantro lime ranch sauce is the perfect sauce to dip these egg rolls into. It is also delicious on tacos or on baked chicken. Also, I made some Mexican Street Corn for a side dish and the entire family fell in love with it and added it to their street tacos the next day! LOL
What Is An Egg Roll?
Wikipedia says that “Egg rolls are a variety of deep-fried appetizers served in American Chinese restaurants. An egg roll is a cylindrical, savory roll with shredded cabbage, chopped meat, or other fillings inside a thickly-wrapped wheat flour skin, which is fried in hot oil.”
What Makes An Egg Roll An Egg Roll?
To make an egg roll the egg isn’t necessary, even though it does have it in its name. In a traditional egg roll recipe you will find egg in the dough, but most recipes don’t call for it anymore. These days egg rolls are made up of mixed meat and vegetables wrapped in egg roll wrappers.
What Is In Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls With Cilantro Lime Ranch?
- chicken breasts
- plain greek yogurt
- buffalo sauce
- green onions
- dill weed seasoning
- garlic powder
- shredded cheese
- egg roll wrappers
- sour cream
- chili powder
- lime juice
What Can I Stuff Into My Egg Rolls?
And, the answer is anything! I have made sweet cream cheese chimichangas and all kinds of savory egg rolls. You can add any cooked meat, vegetable or rice. I have made egg rolls with rice, Spam, carrots, the options are endless for savory egg rolls or for dessert egg rolls.
How To Cook Egg Rolls?
- Baked in the oven
- Air fryer
- Deep fried
What To Serve With Egg Rolls? Dipping Sauces and Side Dishes
- Cilantro lime ranch sauce
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Duck sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Mustard
- Avocado Spinach
- Mango Chutney
- Fried rice
- Baked beans
- Fresh salad
- Home fries
How Do I Make Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch? Scroll down for full printable recipe
Step 1 – The first step is to cook the chicken breasts and shred it. You can cook your chicken breasts in many different ways. I love to bake or grill my chicken breasts, then after it has cooled I will shred the chicken with my hands. Either baking or grilling is an easy way to cook your chicken breast. If it’s a nice day outside I’ll grill mine, but if it’s not then I’ll bake my chicken in the oven at 350 degrees until the internal temperature is 165.
- Grill Chicken
- Bake Chicken
- Cook chicken in a crockpot
- Buy a Rotisserie chicken from the supermarket
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Step 2 – Add seasoning, onion, cheese, yogurt and buffalo hot sauce to the chicken and mix well.
Step 3 – Take 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture and add to the egg roll wrapper.
Step 4 – Fold over each side corner to the middle. As seen in below picture.
Step 5 – Fold over bottom of egg roll wrapper as seen in below picture
Step 6 – Dip your finger into a bowl of water and dab the last corner before you finish rolling up the egg roll. This will help the egg roll wrapper to stay together.
Step 7 – If You are baking your egg rolls, Brush each egg roll with olive oil. Half way (10 minutes) thru cooking you will turn the egg rolls and brush opposite side with olive oil and cook another 10 minutes.
Step 8 – Bake until brown or approximately 10 minutes on each side
- 1 lb or 2 big chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce or Frank's Redhot sauce
- 3 stalks of green onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers (20 in a package)
Cilantro Lime Ranch Sauce
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Add cooked, shredded chicken breast to a medium size bowl.
- Add yogurt, buffalo sauce, chopped green onions, dill, garlic powder, salt and shredded cheese to chicken and mix well
- Spray a baking sheet with oil or add a sheet of parchment paper
- Take one egg roll wrapper and add 2 tbsp of chicken mixture to the middle of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fold in both sides of the egg roll wrapper
- Fold up the bottom of the egg roll wrapper
- Dab your finger in a bowl of water and wet the last remaining corner of the egg roll wrapper to fold over and seal
- Place egg rolls on to a baking sheet
- Brush olive oil on to each egg roll
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn each egg roll over, brush with olive oil and bake another 10 minutes.
Cilantro Lime Ranch Sauce
1. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, juice of 1 lime and chopped cilantro.
2. Mix well and chill.
Egg Rolls can be baked, deep fried or air fried
Baked - 425 degrees 10 minutes on each side
Deep fried - fried until golden brown
Air Fryer - 400 degrees for 20 minutes
Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
DEEP FRIED Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
These Egg Rolls below were deep fried until golden brown.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
These egg rolls were baked in the air fryer at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
Try some of our other recipes!
- Easy Garlic Bread Casserole
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pies
- Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole
- Super Easy 2 Ingredient Spanish Rice
- Ground Beef and Bean Enchiladas
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken
- Ginger & Pineapple Chicken
Plus, dessert recipes!!
- Butterfinger Caramel Cake
- Granny Eppler’s Peach Cobbler
- S’more Cookies
- Orange Dream Cookies
- Strawberry Delight Cheesecake