I love crockpot meals! So, this week I had decided that I wanted to meal plan for the next week. I’m a stay-at-home mom, plus I homeschool and my BIGGEST DECISION every day is “what’s for Dinner or Supper” as we Southerns call it, lol. But, anyways, I planned 4 meals for next week and with 3 of them I will cook ALL the chicken this weekend! This recipe is crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls!
Talk about Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!! So, then I’ll need to do just a few things each evening and Supper will be served – Crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls!
The other 2 meals that I made with this crockpot chicken are:
I had planned 4 meals with chicken, but the 4th meal didn’t need the spices that the first 3 meals that I have planned need. The 4th meal is a Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken Pizza! Sounds so good! My family loves BBQ Chicken Pizza. We tried it a few years ago and have become hooked on it. At first, I wouldn’t try it and Gerald kept talking about how good it was and once I tried it! YUMMO!
But, back to this recipe! I love burrito bowls and the options are endless!
What is in a crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls? A lot of these items are optional, because for example not everyone likes onions or avocados, so you are welcome to individualize this list!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- bell pepper (optional)
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- shredded cheese (any kind)
- cilantro (to sprinkle on your burrito bowl and for your cilantro lime rice)
- jalapenos (optional)
- white rice or brown rice or quinoa
- shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, green onions, sour cream (any of these are optional)
- salsa – purchase from your local supermarket or you can make your own with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic and salt
- lime juice – to squeeze over you burrito bowl (optional) and for your cilantro lime rice
- tortilla chips – purchase from your local supermarket or you can make your own with corn tortillas, olive oil and salt – recipe will be in post
- cilantro lime sauce – mayo, sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and cilantro (optional dressing instead of plain sour cream or salsa)
What is a burrito bowl? Or What is the difference between a burrito and a burrito bowl?
Burrito Bowls are basically the inside of a burrito without the tortilla – chicken or beef, rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole – placed inside of a bowl instead of a tortilla, so they’re keto (leave out the rice and beans) and gluten free and lower in carbs than a traditional burrito.
Why is it called a chicken burrito bowl?
Because it consists of burrito fillings served without the tortilla. The fillings are placed in a bowl, and a layer of rice is put at the bottom. Or for a keto burrito bowl you can add cauliflower rice or extra lettuce to the bottom of the bowl. Any protein will work, chicken, beef or turkey.
Are burrito bowls healthy? Are burrito bowls keto? Are burrito bowls gluten free? Are burrito bowls low carb?
The answer is yes to all these questions. By leaving out the tortillas and chips you are lowering the carbohydrate count. If you replace the regular white rice with cauliflower rice or extra lettuce than the burrito bowl is also ketogenic. Plus, by leaving out the flour tortillas the burrito bowl is gluten free too.
Is burrito bowl served warm or cold?
You may serve burrito bowls warm or cold.
Do you get more food in a burrito or burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl usually has 15 percent more food than a burrito.
How do I make a crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls? Scroll down for printable recipe
- Cook 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasonings, onions and bell peppers in a slow cooker or crockpot for 6 hours on low or 4 hours of high.
- Once chicken breast is done, shred the chicken with 2 forks
- Cook rice as directed, add lime juice and cilantro
- Spoon rice into a bowl, add a layer of shredded chicken, add a layer of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream and salsa. Lastly lime juice. All these ingredients are optional, so choose what you would like and individualize each burrito bowl to each family member.
- Serve tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole on the side.
What is a good side dish with crockpot white chicken chili burrito bowls?
- Lime and Coriander Rice.
- Mexican Bean Salad.
- Mexican Rice
- Mexican Corn
- Mexican Salad.
- Mexican Coleslaw.
- Pico De Gallo.
- Guacamole and Chips
- 2 lbs of shredded chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 4 servings of instant rice - to make cilantro lime rice add juice of 1 lime and 2 tbsp of cilantro
- lettuce, onion, tomatoes, jalapenos, salsa
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Cook chicken breast in a crockpot. Low heat for 6-8 hours and high heat 4 hours
- Shredded chicken breast
- Prepare instant rice as directed. After rice is done, add juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp of cilantro
- Prepare cilantro lime sauce
- Assemble burrito bowls as desired with rice, chicken, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cheese, cilantro lime sauce
Homemade tortilla chips - cut up corn tortillas, place on greased baking sheet, spray with olive oil, add salt and bake at 425 degrees for 4-6 minutes, flip over and spray again and cook until desired brownness.
Try some of our other recipes!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Easy Garlic Bread Casserole
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pies
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Creamy Mozzarella & Tomato Pasta with Italian Chicken