Honey mustard pretzel chicken and avocado bacon salad! This recipe came about one icy Tuesday in late January. The weather here in Oklahoma was raining sleet and ALL 6 of us were stuck at home, LOL, which for 5 of us that is normal. I homeschool 2 of my kids, the other 2 have graduated and have online businesses, so we are accustomed to being at home all the time.
However, Gerald was working from home for a couple of days, because the roads were bad and he is not enjoying it as much as we are, lol. Because, he says that he is hungry all the time and being at home makes him want to eat, LOL. So, he got to taste a lot of new recipes!
And, as I’m typing this blog we are expecting another ice storm this afternoon. So, what better to do than to cook and blog, because everyone is staying hungry or may be just wanting to snack! LOL
I had made these hot honey mustard pretzel chicken fingers and decided to add them to a salad with avocado and bacon. Plus, I made a Tahini dressing to go with this salad. Which is such a healthy dressing. I will talk about it a farther down in the post.
What is Tahini?
Tahini is made by grinding sesame seeds into a smooth paste. Tahini can be used for hummus, dressings and dips. If you do not have any Tahini to make this dressing there are a couple of substitutes: Peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, sesame oil or yogurt. I like the peanut butter, because I always have it in the pantry.
For my Tahini dressing recipe you will need the following ingredients (scroll down for full recipe): olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, tahini or peanut butter, apple cider vinegar and black pepper. I add all the ingredients to a jar, place on the lid and shake. And, you will need to keep the dressing in the refrigerator.
How do I make pretzel chicken fingers for the pretzel chicken and avocado bacon salad?
- Cut up chicken breasts – you can cut the chicken up in strips or small popcorn chicken sizes
- Dip into a wet mixture, usually it’s egg, but this recipe it is a honey mustard sauce
- There are a couple different ways to cook this chicken fingers
- Bake in the oven
- Deep fry in oil
- Air fry in an air fryer
How do you get breading to stick to chicken fingers?
The wet mixture that you dip the chicken into allows the breading to stick. If your breading falls off just dip again into the wet mixture then the dry again.
What do I need to make baked honey mustard pretzel chicken fingers? (Scroll down for full printable recipe)
- bag of pretzels
- dip for breading: dijon mustard, honey and yogurt
- Hot honey sauce is to drizzle after the chicken fingers are done, you will need honey and Frank’s hot sauce.
For my pretzel breading, I used my Ninja mini blender to pulverize my pretzels. And, my Ninja did a great job at pulverizing up my pretzels into a breading.
What kind of pretzels do I need for my pretzel chicken fingers for the pretzel chicken and avocado bacon salad?
Any kind of pretzel will work, these are the ones that I had on hand, because my kids like the pretzel sticks, but any type will work.
In a small bowl, I added my Dijon mustard, honey and yogurt. And, blended with a whisk until it was combined. Also, I added a little black pepper, but that is optional.
I cut my chicken up into strips and some I cut up into popcorn chicken sizes.
I added a sheet of parchment paper to a baking sheet and baked until the internal temperature of the chicken was 165 degrees.
These are the small popcorn chicken pieces that I cut up.
Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken and Avocado Bacon Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 2 lb chicken breasts
- 16 oz bag of pretzels
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Tahini or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of black pepper
- 8 cups of mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 6 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon or 1 cup of real bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut chicken breast up into strips
- In a small bowl add honey, dijon mustard and yogurt - mix well with a whisk or fork
- Pulverize pretzels in a food processor or Ninja - add crushed pretzels to a bowl
- Dip chicken in wet mixture than dry mixture one piece at a time and place onto parchment paper
- Bake chicken for 15 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees
- While chicken is in the oven make the Tahini dressing
- For the Tahini dressing, add all the ingredients into a jar, add lid and shake. Place dressing into the refrigerator
- Once chicken is done prepare your salad
Another idea for a salad with these chicken fingers is to drizzled Panda’s sweet chili sauce over the top, so yummy! Of course, you can always add your own favorite salad dressing to the salad.
We’d love to see your recipes! If you make this recipe or a different recipe from our blog, be sure to tag us @thelazyKkitchen on social media so we can see your awesome creations!
Try some of our other recipes!
- Super easy 4 ingredient chicken and dumplings
- Baked Crunchy Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich with Sweet Chili Mayo
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Cilantro Lime Ranch
- Easy Garlic Bread Casserole
- The Easiest Chicken Pot Pies
- Easy Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf