Y’all, will love these Keto stuffed bell peppers! I’m a stay at home mom and I homeschool, so years ago I started cooking and selling meals, so that is how this recipe was created. Many of my customers are on the keto diet, and so I bake a lot of keto casseroles with cauliflower rice. But, Gerald my husband, who doesn’t follow the keto diet loves stuffed bell peppers. I had made too many one week and so I meal prepped some for Gerald. He takes his lunch to work, so he takes most of the leftovers to work, LOL. I know, poor guy! But, he loves my cooking, lol. However, if I was making these stuffed bell peppers for him I would exchange the cauliflower rice for instant brown rice. Which I would cook the instant brown rice before I added it to the bell peppers. So, this recipe can be made for keto dieters, but can be tweaked for non keto individuals too.
What is the Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet focuses on high fat, low carb foods like eggs, meats, dairy, and low carb vegetables. Also, it consists of food that are sugar free and gluten free. A lot of individuals believe it is just a lot of protein, like a lot of bacon, but it is more than just eating a lot of bacon. It is limiting carb consumption to around 20 to 50 grams per day and filling up on fats, such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils.
Ketogenic Vegetables & Net Carb Count
- Asparagus: 1g
- Spinach: 2g
- Swiss Chard: 2g
- Celery: 2g
- Lettuce: 2g
- Avocado (technically a fruit): 2g
- Cabbage: 3g
- Green Olives: 3g
- Cucumber: 3g
- Cauliflower: 3g
- Zucchini: 3g
- Tomato: 3g
- Green Pepper: 3g
- Red Pepper: 4g
- Broccoli: 4g
- Brussels Sprouts: 5g
- Green Beans: 5g
Foods to Avoid on the Keto Diet
- Starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits.
- Sweetened yogurt.
- Honey, syrup or sugar in any form.
- Chips and crackers.
- Baked goods including gluten-free baked goods.
Keto Stuffed Bell Pepper Ingredients (scroll down for printable version)
- bell peppers, choose any color – green, red, orange or yellow
- browned ground beef
- cauliflower rice
- shredded cheese
- salt and black pepper
A one-cup serving of chopped bell pepper contains:
- Calories: 30.
- Protein: 1 gram.
- Fat: Less than 1 gram.
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams.
- Fiber: 2.5 grams.
- Sugar: 3.5 grams.
Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C, especially the ripest peppers, which are red. Red peppers pack the most nutrition, because they’ve been on the vine longest. Bell peppers come in a range of colors, including red (the sweetest), orange, yellow, and green. Peppers are also a good source of vitamin A and fiber. Bell peppers also have antioxidant properties, which may help to protect against diseases such as cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
Health Benefits of Bell Peppers
- May help heal eyes and ward off eye disease
- May prevent cancer
- Boosts Immunity
- Balances Mood
- Natural sleep aid
- Weight Loss
- Beautiful skin
- Heart healthy
- make Pepper bowls. Instead of cutting the bell peppers in half, just cut the top off of each bell pepper and then stuff them with the cauliflower rice and ground beef.
- choose different colors of bell peppers; green, red, yellow or orange
- choose different meat, for example; chicken, Italian sausage, summer sausage or diced ham
- try different seasoning, for example;
- garlic powder
- taco season
- italian seasoning
- ranch seasoning
- onion powder
- chili seasoning
- meal prep – prepare as directed and after the bell peppers have cooled place into individual lunch containers and freeze for an easy to go lunch
- choose any type of shredded cheese that you prefer
- add parmesan cheese to the top of each bell pepper for some crunch
- choose a different type of pepper, for example a jalapeno cut in half and stuffed with the cauliflower rice and ground pepper would be delicious too
Easy Directions! (scroll down for printable version)
These Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers are so easy to make and to prepare ahead of time. They could be prepared a day a head of time and baked later for your meal.
- In a medium size skillet, brown the ground beef and set aside
- Take each bell pepper and cut them in half
- Take frozen bag of cauliflower rice (set out about 30 minutes to thaw) combine cauliflower rice and cooled ground beef together
- stuff each bell pepper with ground beef and cauliflower mixture
- add shredded cheese to the top of each bell pepper or you can wait until about 15 minutes before the bell peppers are done and add the shredded cheese, because sometimes the cheese will cook too long if you leave the bell peppers in the oven for the full 40 minutes.
- bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the bell peppers are fork tender. Some individuals like a little more crunch to their bell peppers, however I like mine really soft, so I cook mine for at least 40 minutes or longer.
- you can serve alone or with a side salad.
- 12 oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- brown ground beef with salt and pepper to taste
- cut bell peppers in half
- place bell peppers in a sprayed baking dish
- take cauliflower directly from bag and mix with cooled browned ground beef
- take cauliflower and browned ground beef mixture and fill each bell pepper
- sprinkle with cheese
- bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes