These Bacon Wrapped Shrimp: easy & quick party appetizers are perfect for any Holiday party, a girl’s trip or just for anytime! My daughters and I went on an all girls trip and I made these appetizers. We had rented a cabin in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. We live about 3 hours away from there and the cabins are beautiful. It was a special treat for us and we enjoyed a little bit of cooking, LOL.
On about the second day there we decided to run to the grocery store and I had been thinking about this recipe for a while. I decided that this trip would be a great time to try this recipe. This was a treat for my girls and I, because shrimp is not a normal meal for my family. Now, bacon is another story, LOL, we love bacon or mostly I LOVE BACON. I fix breakfast EVERY morning and when I say that I fix breakfast, I mean like scrambled eggs (fresh eggs, because we have chickens), bacon or sausage and sometimes biscuits, gravy and hash browns. I’m a stay at home mom and I homeschool, so I cook a lot, because my kids are home all day. So, breakfast is an everyday affair and so bacon is a food that we eat a couple times a week.
But, these shrimp appetizers were so easy and fun to make. And, with the holidays right around the corner these bacon wrapped shrimp appetizers would be perfect for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day. Plus, for the girl trips!
Brown Sugar Substitute
These appetizers can be made with real brown sugar or if you are a diabetic, on a low carb or keto diet, you can easily substitute the brown sugar with a brown sugar substitute. Personally, I can not tell the difference between real brown sugar and the brown sugar substitute. My mom is a diabetic and so she bakes a lot with the brown sugar substitute. And, sometimes she will make something for us with the substitute and I can never tell the difference. So, don’t be afraid to try a substitute on this recipe. The back of the brown sugar substitute will tell you the ratio to real sugar.
If you need a brown sugar substitute:
There are many brands of brown sugar substitute, I have baked with this one, Splenda and I have also baked with the brand Swerve and they are both delicious and you can not really tell that they are brown sugar substitutes. So, if you need one of these either brand is good.
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp: Easy & Quick Party Appetizers Ingredients: (scroll down for printable recipe)
- thin sliced bacon
- olive oil
- brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute
- garlic powder
- Don’t forget the toothpicks
These bacon wrapped shrimp appetizers are perfect for those individuals who are on Ketogenic (Keto), low carb, diabetic, sugar free or gluten free diets. For the keto diet these are great, because most keto individuals know the importance of bacon, lol, so you have bacon and shrimp. A perfect meal and if you make the sauce with a brown sugar substitute then this is keto all the way. Since, there is no flour in this recipe it is also gluten free. And, so for the diabetic individual or for the sugar free person, who can choose a brown sugar substitute these makes a great meal for those individuals too.
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp: Easy & Quick Party Appetizers Instructions: (scroll down for printable recipe)
- Place shrimp down on a sheet pan that has been sprayed with oil
- Cut bacon in half – for a medium size shrimp. If you have large size shrimps you might could use a whole slice of bacon. It is a personal preference and not right or wrong use of bacon, LOL.
- Take a half slice of bacon and wrap around a shrimp
- Take a toothpick and secure the bacon around the shrimp
- In a medium size bowl, mix the following ingredients: olive oil, brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute (for those who are on sugar free diets), paprika, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Take a spoon and spread onto appetizers. It will be thick, so I piled the mixture on top of each one.
- In a 450 degree oven bake for 15 minutes or until bacon is completely cooked.
- Choose thin sliced bacon, because thick slices are too chewy (yes, we found this out the hard way, LOL, the thick cut was on sale and I wasn’t thinking, LOL)
- Shrimp is purchased frozen (or mine was frozen), so lay the shrimp out on a plate to thaw completely before wrapping with bacon to cook.
- Any size of shrimp will work. However, I did choose medium size shrimp. The bigger the shrimp the more bacon that you may need. But, can you ever have too much bacon? LOL
- Spray the baking sheet with oil before baking
- After baking, spoon the sugary drippings back onto the shrimp, so yummy!
- If you don’t like the shrimp tails, cut them off before you wrap the shrimp in bacon.
- This recipe is not spicy, but if you don’t like the seasonings then just leave them out, BUT KEEP the brown sugar, because it is the main part of this dish! LOL
Be Sure To Scoop Up the Sugary Goodness Back Over the Shrimp appetizers! LOL
- 15 medium size shrimp
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spray a baking sheet with oil
- Cut bacon in half
- Wrap bacon around shrimp and secure with a toothpick. Place onto baking sheet
- In a medium size bowl, mix olive oil, brown sugar and seasonings
- Spoon mixture on top of each appetizer
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bacon is completely cooked
- New Year’s Day or New Year’s Eve
- Valentine’s Day for your sweetheart
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Thanksgiving’s Day
- Wedding Showers
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers
- Anniversary parties
- Graduation parties
- Birthday parties
- Girl’s trip
- Guy’s trip