This Keto Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole is AMAZING! Plus, the recipe is easy to make and only has a few ingredients, which I love!
As a stay at home and homeschooling mom, I need easy and quick recipes and this low carb casserole is it! One of the ingredients, which is my favorite keto staple, is low carb tortillas. However, if you are on a Strict Ketogenic diet then you can replace these keto tortillas with cauliflower rice. I have made this recipe with both and either way it is a delicious meal.
Can I have Mexican food on the keto diet? Yes, you can enjoy Mexican flavors, but with a few substitutions for a low carb diet.
Can I have enchiladas on the keto diet? Yes, you can have a low carb version of enchiladas. Traditional enchiladas are made with regular corn tortillas or flour tortillas. To make enchiladas low carb or keto, you will need to replace the regular flour tortillas with keto flour tortillas or low-carb tortillas.
How many net carbs are in enchiladas? This will depend on what type of flour tortillas are used. There will be extra carbs in the low carb enchiladas if the regular flour tortillas are not replaced with keto tortillas.
Can you eat tortillas on keto? No, not regular flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
Is enchilada sauce high in carbs? For the entire 10 oz can there are 18 net carbs.
How many carbs are in red enchilada sauce? Is red sauce keto friendly? For the entire 10 oz can there is 24 net carbs.
Is green chiles high in carbs? For the entire 4.5 oz can there are 8 net carbs.
Is green chilies enchilada sauce high in carbs? For the entire 10 oz can there are 18 net carbs.
Is a corn tortilla keto-friendly? No, corn tortillas are not keto friendly
What can you use instead of corn tortillas for enchiladas? Any keto tortillas or low carb tortillas.
What ingredients are in keto enchiladas?
- cooked chicken breast – canned chicken, rotisserie chicken or any cooked shredded chicken breast
- chopped green chiles
- cream cheese
- pepper jack cheese or any shredded cheese
- green chiles enchilada sauce or homemade enchilada sauce
- sour cream – a sour cream sauce is made with sour cream and green chiles enchilada sauce
- low carb flour tortillas or keto tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- optional – green onion and fresh cilantro
- taco seasoning is optional or homemade taco seasonings: garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and tsp chili powder
- optional olive oil for chicken breast if you don’t purchase canned chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store
What keto side dishes go with a keto enchilada casserole?
- cauliflower rice
- guacomole or avocado slices
- roasted vegetables
How do I store white chicken enchiladas leftovers?
This is a great recipe to meal prep. Take any leftover chicken enchilada casserole and place in an airtight container or place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the casserole dish. Then place leftovers into the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What cooking utensils do I need for a sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe?
- baking dish
- large skillet – if you don’t buy canned chicken or a rotisserie chicken
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
How do I make this enchilada recipe?
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Gather ingredients and supplies
3. To make the chicken mixture that goes inside the enchiladas; take a large bowl and add the chicken breast, chopped green chiles, cream cheese and pepper jack cheese
4. Mix well
5. Spray the baking pan
6. Spoon the chicken mixture into each flour tortilla and roll up
7. Place rolled tortilla into the baking pan
8. In a small bowl add the can of green chile enchilada sauce and sour cream.
9. Mix well and pour over enchiladas
10. Add remaining cheese
11. Bake 25-30 minutes until cheese is completely melted
This is an easy dinner for the whole family. Plus, the best part is that a variety type of chicken will work:
- canned chicken breast
- rotisserie chicken
- cooked chicken breast – take a medium size skillet, add olive oil and chicken breast over medium heat. Cook until done.
- slow cooker chicken breast or chicken thighs
- optional – if you are cooking your own chicken breast, you can bell peppers and saute it all together.
- optional – replace the chicken with cooked ground beef
I truly believe that Keto sour cream chicken enchiladas will a new recipe card for your entire family. Maybe, you could start a Mexican Monday or a Taco Tuesday for your weekly family dinner meals.
- 2 - 12.5oz cans of chicken breasts
- 4.5oz can of chopped green chiles
- 8oz cream cheese
- 8oz pepper jack cheese
- 10oz can of green chiles enchilada sauce
- 8oz sour cream
- 8 low carb tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray baking dish with oil
- Take a large bowl for the chicken mixture: add chicken breasts, chopped green chiles, cream cheese and pepper jack cheese
- Mix well
- Spoon chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll up
- Place rolled tortillas into baking dish
- In a small bowl mix the green chiles enchilada sauce and sour cream
- Mix well and pour over the top of the enchiladas
- Add the shredded cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is completely melted.