Yes, you can have these Chicken Chili Burrito Bowls on the ketogenic diet! I have made a few exchanges for you and you won’t even think that you are sacrificing the best part of a burrito bowl!
By replacing the regular white rice with cauliflower rice and by making some homemade tortillas chips from Keto tortillas you will stay on target!
What is the difference between a burrito bowl and a taco bowl?
A burrito bowl is made with rice, beans and toppings and a taco bowl has a fried or baked taco shell. I thought that this was an interesting fact, because I thought they were the same.
What is in chicken chili burrito bowls? A lot of these items are optional, because for example not everyone likes onions or avocados, so you are welcome to individualize this list!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- bell pepper (optional)
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- shredded cheese (any kind)
- cilantro (to sprinkle on your burrito bowl and for your cilantro lime rice)
- jalapenos (optional)
- cauliflower rice
- shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, green onions, sour cream (any of these are optional)
- salsa – purchase from your local supermarket or you can make your own with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic and salt
- lime juice – to squeeze over you burrito bowl (optional) and for your cilantro lime rice
- make your own tortilla chips from keto tortillas – purchase from your local supermarket keto tortillas, olive oil and salt – recipe will be in post
- cilantro lime sauce – mayo, sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and cilantro (optional dressing instead of plain sour cream or salsa)
What is a burrito bowl? Or What is the difference between a burrito and a burrito bowl?
Burrito Bowls are basically the inside of a burrito without the tortilla – chicken or beef, rice (cauliflower rice), beans (optional), lettuce, cheese, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole – placed inside of a bowl instead of a tortilla, so they’re keto (if you leave out the regular rice and beans) and gluten free and lower in carbs than a traditional burrito.
Why is it called a chicken burrito bowl?
Because it consists of burrito fillings served without the tortilla. The fillings are placed in a bowl, and a layer of rice or cauliflower rice is put at the bottom. Or for a keto burrito bowl you can add cauliflower rice or extra lettuce to the bottom of the bowl. Any protein will work, chicken, beef or turkey.
Are burrito bowls healthy? Are burrito bowls keto? Are burrito bowls gluten free? Are burrito bowls low carb?
The answer is yes to all these questions. By leaving out the tortillas and chips you are lowering the carbohydrate count. If you replace the regular white rice with cauliflower rice or extra lettuce than the burrito bowl is also ketogenic.
However, you can make homemade tortillas chips from keto tortillas or gluten free tortillas and they are delicious. So, by replacing the regular rice for cauliflower rice and replacing the tortilla chips this meal is keto, low carb, gluten free and sugar free.
Is burrito bowl served warm or cold?
You may serve burrito bowls warm or cold. It really is a personal preference, however I like mine cold except for the rice, lol and it is better warm and then add the other toppings.
Do you get more food in a burrito or burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl usually has 15 percent more food than a burrito.
How do I make a chicken chili burrito bowl? Scroll down for printable recipe
- Cook 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasonings, onions and bell peppers in a slow cooker or crockpot for 6 hours on low or 4 hours of high. If you do not want to cook your chicken in a crockpot, you can cook the chicken breast in a skillet or oven.
- Once chicken breast is done, shred the chicken with 2 forks
- Cook the cauliflower rice as directed, add lime juice and cilantro
- Spoon cauliflower rice into a bowl, add a layer of shredded chicken, add a layer of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, avocado, jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream and salsa. Lastly lime juice.
- All the above ingredients are optional, so choose what you would like and individualize each burrito bowl to each family member.
- Serve homemade keto tortilla chips, salsa and guacamole on the side.
What is a good side dish with chicken chili burrito bowls?
- Lime and Coriander cauliflower Rice.
- Mexican Bean Salad – for those who are low carb and not on the ketogenic diet
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Salad.
- Mexican Keto Coleslaw.
- Pico De Gallo.
- Guacamole and Chips – homemade keto tortilla chips
How do I make keto tortilla chips?
- Preheat oven 425 degrees
- Take a knife or pizza cutter and slice the keto tortillas into triangles
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil
- Lay out the cut up tortillas pieces onto the baking sheet
- Spray or brush oil onto the tortillas pieces
- Sprinkle the chips with salt
- Place into oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes
- Flip over the chips and bake until the chips are brown
- 2 lbs of shredded chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 4 servings of cauliflower rice - to make cilantro lime rice add juice of 1 lime and 2 tbsp of cilantro
- lettuce, onion, tomatoes, jalapenos, salsa
- Keto tortillas for the chips
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Cook chicken breast in a skillet, oven or crockpot. For a crockpot, cook on low heat for 6-8 hours and high heat 4 hours
- Shredded chicken breast
- Prepare cauliflower rice as directed. After rice is done, add juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp of cilantro
- Prepare cilantro lime sauce by mixing all the ingredients together
- Assemble burrito bowls as desired with cauliflower rice, chicken, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cheese, cilantro lime sauce.
Homemade KETO tortilla chips - cut up keto tortillas, place on greased baking sheet, spray with olive oil, add salt and bake at 425 degrees for 4-6 minutes, flip over and spray again and cook until desired brownness.
What is a Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate dietary therapy that in conventional medicine is used mainly to treat hard-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates (per Wikipedia).
What are the main rules of keto?
- Cut out the carbs
- Avoid sugar
- Avoid starchy vegetables
- Eat high quality proteins
- Avoid starchy fruits
- Eat the good fats