This Savory Brown Sugar Meatloaf recipe is not your average meatloaf recipe. This one has been a family favorite for years and has only gotten better each time it is prepared. The most important ingredient is in the title of the recipe! “Keto Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf”
However, for a keto recipe, I had to make some changes. For my original, family, favorite meatloaf, it had regular crackers and brown sugar in the ingredients, but with a few changes this recipe is KETO, low carb, gluten free and sugar free!
Wow! A Keto meatloaf!
I call this meatloaf a “comfort food” LOL, there is just something about a meatloaf and smashed potatoes or CAULIFLOWER SMASHED POTATOES – it’s the perfect meal for a family to sit down to dinner to enjoy!
Plus, to make this meatloaf meal extra special, you can take a muffin pan and make individual serving meatloaves! I like the corner or side pieces of meatloaf, because they are usually “crunchy”, so when baked in a muffin pan all around the edges are crisp! YUMMY!
Do I need a special pan to make a meatloaf?
What kind of pan do I need to make meatloaf, is a common question! I’ll name a few pans that you can use to bake a meatloaf in:
- bread loaf pan
- 9 x 9 square baking dish
- 9 x 12 rectangle baking dish – this dish will make a thin meatloaf, which is how I like my meatloaf, because there is more area for the brown sugar sauce! LOL
- muffin pan or cupcake pan – these allow you to make individual mini meatloaves, plus the sides all around the meatloaf are crunchy! YUM!
What is the Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet focuses on high fat, low carb foods like eggs, meats, dairy, and low carb vegetables. Also, it consists of food that are sugar free and gluten free.
A lot of individuals believe it is just a lot of protein, like a lot of bacon, but it is more than just eating a lot of bacon.
It is limiting carb consumption to around 20 to 50 grams per day and filling up on fats, such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils.
Low Carb – Meat, Poultry & Eggs
Low Carb – Fish and Shellfish
- Salmon (wild)
Low Carb – Cheese and Dairy
- Bleu cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Cream cheese
- Goat cheese
- Greek yogurt (plain)
- Mozzarella (whole milk)
Low Carb Fruit
Low Carb – Vegetables & Net Carb Count
- Asparagus: 1g
- Spinach: 2g
- Swiss Chard: 2g
- Celery: 2g
- Lettuce: 2g
- Avocado (technically a fruit): 2g
- Cabbage: 3g
- Green Olives: 3g
- Cucumber: 3g
- Cauliflower: 3g
- Zucchini: 3g
- Tomato: 3g
- Green Pepper: 3g
- Red Pepper: 4g
- Broccoli: 4g
- Brussels Sprouts: 5g
- Green Beans: 5g
Low Carb Oils and Healthy Fats
- Avocado oil
- Coconut butter
- Coconut oil
- Mayonnaise (with no added sugar)
- MCT oil
- Olive oil
- Safflower oil
- Sesame oil
- Walnut oil
Low Carb – Nuts and Seeds
- Brazil nuts
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Macadamia nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
Foods to Avoid on the Keto Diet
- Grains, biscuits, rolls, tortillas, pancakes, or waffles
- Starchy vegetables, i.e. corn, potatoes, yams, or sweet peas
- high sugar fruit: oranges, apples, watermelons, cantaloupe, grapes, or pineapples
- Sweetened yogurt.
- Juices, i.e. orange juice, grape juice, pineapple juice, or apple juice
- Honey, syrup or sugar in any form, maple syrup, or pancake syrup
- Chips, crackers, or cereals.
- Baked goods including gluten-free baked goods, cakes, cookies, or donuts.
- White rice, brown rice, or pasta
KETO Brown Sugar Glazed Meatloaf ingredients (scroll down for full recipe)
- ground beef
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- crushed pork rinds
- yellow mustard or brown mustard
- worcestershire sauce
The recipes for the meatloaf and the sauce, that is poured on top of the meatloaf, both call for yellow mustard or brown mustard. The reason for either is because we have made the recipes with both mustards.
Sometimes, we may have brown mustard, but when we have ran out of it we have substituted with yellow mustard and we love both. So, either mustard will work.
Keto Brown Sugar Sauce Ingredients: (scroll down for full recipe)
The BEST EVER keto brown sugar glazed! And, after this sauce is cooked on the meatloaf, it becomes caramelized and delicious! YUMMY!!!
- ketchup with no sugar added
- worcestershire sauce
- yellow mustard or brown mustard
- Splenda brown sugar
I love recipes that can be made the day before or early in the morning. To be taken from the refrigerator to the oven at dinner time.
And, while the meatloaf is in the oven mashed potatoes, CAULIFLOWER SMASHED POTATOES or any other veggies can be prepared.
My family prefers mashed potatoes with a lot of butter. My son, Barrett, will ask, “Are those real potatoes?” Which is interpreted, I hope they are not instant potatoes.
Of course, during the summertime we love fresh green onion and fried squash or okra from our garden.
Here’s little Gabe, who’s my help in the garden. He always finds those sneaky zucchini squash that hide from me, LOL! But, this squash make an excellent side dish to this meatloaf.
For these recipe pics, we baked this meatloaf in a loaf pan. But, I prefer a 9×9 inch pan. The meatloaf is thinnier and has more crusty sides after baking. A muffin tin pan will also work for individual serving size meatloaves. So, either size of pan will work.
Some people will prefer a thicker meatloaf and some may like a thin meatloaf. The most important part of the recipe is the brown sugar sauce that goes on top of the meatloaf!
What can I do with leftover meatloaf?
How about make a meatloaf sandwich! With the supermarkets having such a variety of Keto bread and buns, this sandwich can be made ketogenic.
How do I store leftover meatloaf?
Leftover meatloaf is easy to store, that is, if you have any leftover to store! Simply, place your leftover meatloaf into an airtight container and place into the refrigerator. Leftovers will stay good about 3 days in the frigerator.
Leftovers could also be placed in an airtight container and froze. In the freezer, the leftovers will be good for 3 months.
What sides do you eat on Keto?
- potatoes or CAULIFLOWER SMASHED POTATOES
- Cauliflower “mac” and cheese
- cauliflower rice
- garlic butter mushrooms
- green beans
- fried or baked zucchini squash
- fried or baked okra
- cole slaw
- lettuce salad
- brussel sprouts
- sliced tomatoes
- green onion
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard or brown mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
Keto Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup with no sugar added
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard or brown mustard
- 3 Tbsp Splenda brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine all meatloaf ingredients and mix well
- Spoon into a greased loaf pan
- Place into oven and bake for 30 minutes
While the meatloaf is baking, take a small bowl and mix the brown sugar sauce ingredients together
- After 30 minutes take meatloaf from the oven and spread the sauce on top of the meatloaf
- Bake an additional 30 minutes or until the internal temp. is 160 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy