I have created the perfect easy weeknight dinner for your family. Simply, place your meat into the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. Once your meat is tender, sautee your veggies (optional), assemble sandwiches and bake for a few minutes. And, so you have easy keto Philly cheesesteak sandwiches that will become a family favorite.
Are Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Keto?
Not usually, BUT they can be ketogenic or low carb if you exchange the regular bread for a keto bread.
What is a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?
A cheesesteak (also known as a Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheesesteak sandwich, cheese steak, or steak and cheese) a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll or hoagie buns. It is a popular regional fast food that has its roots in the U.S. city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
What is the history of an authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwich?
Wikipedia describes the history – The cheesesteak was developed in the early 20th century “by combining thin slices of tender beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread”, according to a 1987 exhibition catalog published by the library of Pennsylvania and the historical society of Pennsylvania
Philadelphians Pat and Harry Olivieri are often credited with inventing the sandwich by serving chopped steak on an Italian roll in the early 1930s. The exact story behind its creation is debated, but in some accounts, Pat and Harry Olivieri originally owned a hot dog stand, and on one occasion, decided to make a new sandwich using chopped beef and grilled onions. While Pat was eating the sandwich, a cab driver stopped by and was interested in it, so he requested one for himself. After eating it, the cab driver suggested that Olivieri quit making hot dogs and instead focus on the new sandwich.
They began selling this variation of steak sandwiches at their hot dog stand near market. They became so popular that Pat opened up his own restaurant which still operates today as Pat’s King of Steaks. The sandwich was originally prepared without cheese; Olivieri said provolone cheese slices was first added by Joe “Cocky Joe” Lorenza, a manager at the Ridge Avenue location.
Cheesesteaks have become popular at restaurants and food carts throughout the city with many locations being independently owned, family-run businesses. Variations of cheesesteaks are now common in several fast food chains. Versions of the sandwich can also be found at high-end restaurants. Many establishments outside of Philadelphia refer to the sandwich as a “Philly cheesesteak”.
What is the meat used in traditional Philly cheesesteak?
- best meat is Ribeye steak
- top round steak
- sirloin steak
- skirt steak
- flank steak
- round roast
- lean ground beef
- any tender steak
- chuck roast
- pork butt roast – even tho this is not a common meat that is used for Philly cheese steaks it is a very inexpensive option.
What is an inexpensive meat for keto Philly cheesesteak sandwiches?
Pork butt roast is not a common meat used, but it is an inexpensive option. And, as a mother of 4, I’m always looking for options to help with our food bill. I chose a pork butt roast and slow cooking it in a crockpot. By cooking in a crockpot this makes great options for those busy weeknights.
What cheese can I use for Philly cheese steak sandwiches or casserole?
- slices of provolone cheese
- American cheese
- Cheez Whiz
- Canned cheddar cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- your favorite cheese
What are the toppings for Philly cheese steak?
For my recipes I chose onions, green bell peppers and provolone cheese, but here are a few more topping ideas:
- green bell peppers
- green pepper
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- italian seasoning
- onion powder
- black pepper
What to serve with easy Philly cheesesteak casserole recipe sandwiches or Philly sloppy joes?
- cole slaw
- broccoli salad
- cauliflower rice
- brussels sprouts
What bread goes best with crockpot Philly cheesesteak recipe sandwiches?
- hoagie rolls
- sub rolls
- Italian rolls
- thick bread
Do Philly cheesesteaks have condiments?
This is optional. Personally, the caramelized onions and bell peppers are perfect for me, but my husband added barbecue sauce onto his sandwich. Here are a few options to add to your sandwich:
- barbecue sauce
- yellow mustard
- brown mustard
- steak sauce
Can a Philly cheesesteak be frozen for a freezer meal? How do you store leftovers?
Yes, you can refrigerate for 4-5 days or freeze. For freezer, just add your meat, veggies and cheese to an airtight container and place in the freezer. Then, thaw, reheat the leftovers of the beef filling and add it to a soft hoagie roll.
Ingredients for my keto Philly cheesesteak sandwiches:
- pork butt roast
- yellow onion
- bell pepper
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- provolone deli sliced cheese
- hoagie buns
How do I make a Philly cheesesteak sandwich?
- Place roast into a crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Roast will become golden brown. Take roast out of the crockpot and place into a casserole dish and shred the meat. Set the shredded meat aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut up the onions and bell peppers
- Take a large skillet, place over medium-high heat and added a little olive oil.
- Then, add onions and bell peppers to the skillet and saute until veggies are cooked. I like mine really brown, so I cook mine a little longer than most people.
- Take a baking sheet pan and add a sheet of parchment paper to it
- Place hoagie rolls or hamburger buns to the baking pan
- Fill each bun with the shredded beef
- Top with sauteed veggies
- Add slices of cheese to the top of each sandwich
- Place into oven for approximately 3 minutes
- Turn oven to broil and bake for 3 more minutes until cheese to starting to brown on top.
YIELD: 10-12 SANDWICHES
Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Sandwiches: 5 Ingredients
These crockpot Philly cheesesteak casserole sandwiches have become a family favorite for my whole family. They are great the next day and make a delicious meal for any night of the week.
- 3-4 lbs of shredded steak, roast or pork butt
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 10-12 slices Provolone cheese
- 10-12 buns
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- Take your 3-4 lb steak, roast or pork butt and place into a crockpot
- Add salt and pepper
- Slow cook on low for 8 hours
- Once meat is done place into a baking dish and shred
- Slice up onions and bell peppers
- Place skillet over medium heat and add a little olive oil. Once oil is warm add the onions and bell peppers
- Saute onions and bell peppers until they are soft or brown
- Preheat over to 450 degrees
- Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a baking pan
- Place buns onto baking pan
- Add shredded meat to buns
- Add sauteed veggies to the top
- Add slices of cheese
- Place into oven for 3 minutes
- Turn oven to broil and cook for 3 more minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Try Our Keto Recipes!
Try Some Other Keto Desserts!
- Keto Coconut Pie
- Keto Cherry Pie
- Keto Peanut Butter Pie Cupcakes
- Keto Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Keto Peanut Butter Balls
- Keto Turtle Cheesecake
- Keto Chocolate Caramel Pecan Clusters
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Maple Pecan Cream Pie
Lastly, if you make this sandwich, be sure to leave a comment and/or rate us! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram! 🙂